Press Release of the Puntland Development Forum Infrastructure Sector
First Sector Working Group (SWG) meeting on Infrastructure was held in Garowe, at the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation – Puntland (MOPIC). The Meeting was officially opened by Hon. Shire H. Farah, MoPIC Minister and Mr. David Akopyan UNDP- Deputy Country Director (Programs), it was fruitful and interactive. This was the first of series of sector work group meetings that will happen in Puntland. The upcoming other Five Development Sectors are Governance, Justice, Security, Livelihood and Social. The development sectors are based on the Puntland Revised Development Plan (2017-2019) aligned with the Somali Federal Government National Development Plan (NDP) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). To better coordinate MoPIC developed, in all-inclusive process, an aid coordination mechanism called Puntland Development Forum (PDF) which was endorsed in October 2015. It presents the necessary aid coordination architecture.
- Meeting agenda was agreed
- Terms of References reviewed and endorsed
- Six Months Meeting Calendar presented, discussed and finally endorsed
- Group Norms and Conduct agreed including – Punctuality and avoidance of new faces and presence of decision makers in all meetings.
- Membership of the SWG listed and agreed
- Lead Ministry to the be the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation while the lead agency will be UNHABITAT.
- Each counterpart to present their ongoing programs/projects to ensure the avoidance of duplication and overlapping of programs/projects.
- MoPIC to play the secretariat role until the sector working group secretariat is formed
- To contribute to the overall coordination function of MoPIC through communication and information sharing
- Next meeting to take place at the Ministry of Public Works and Transport on May 6, 2017
The overall objective of the meeting was to facilitate sector workgroup and subsector workgroup meetings to strengthen their collaboration for furthering the aims and objectives of the Infrastructure sector workgroup to realize the priorities of the sector in the Revised Puntland Development Plan.
List of Institutions Participated
Puntland Government of Somalia
- Ministry of Public Works and Transportation
- Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation
- Ministry of Civil Aviation and Airports
- Ministry of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism
- Puntland High Way Authority
- Puntland Agency for Water and Energy
Civil Society Organization
- Puntland Non-State Actors
- Puntland Chamber of Commerce
UN, Development Partners and INGOs
- Somali Stability Fund
- Islamic Relief